“Birthing your baby doesn’t have to be scary. Hypnobirthing will help you feel excited and empower you to have the best birth possible for you”
– Abby Watson, Love Your Birth founder
Hypnobirthing is an enjoyable, complete birth preparation course that works effectively to reduce the fear of childbirth, allowing couples to look forward to their baby’s birth. Studying Hypnobirthing greatly increases the likelihood of having a positive birth with less need for pain relief.
A key part of Hypnobirthing is teaching deep relaxation so that the labouring woman is calm, relaxed and is able to ignore distractions during labour and birth. Additionally Hypnobirthing teaches couples the tools to make informed decisions about their pregnancy and birth so that they feel calm, relaxed and in control.
How does Hypnobirthing help you to have an easier more comfortable birth?
Hypnobirthing is based on the work of Dr Grantly Dick-Read over 60 years ago. His work with labouring women led to the conclusion that 95% of labour pain is a result of tension and fear. Therefore this could be reduced through fear release and relaxation.
Hypnobirthing works by breaking the fear-tension-pain cycle so that the labouring woman relaxes. When a woman is deeply relaxed her body softens and opens, time goes by more quickly and she blocks out other distractions. This can lead to an easier, more comfortable and enjoyable experience.
This means that Hypnobirthing helps you work with your body rather than against it. Your hormones can work more effectively so that your body can labour like it was designed to.
Hypnobirthing helps you develop a positive mindset so that you can understand what you can control and let go of what you can’t. This allows you to have the best, most comfortable experience with powerful tools however your birth goes.
The benefits of Hypnobirthing…
- Studying Hypnobirthing allows couples to release their fears of childbirth, enabling a more calm and relaxed pregnancy and birth.
- Hypnobirthing can reduce the need for pain relief during labour and birth.
- Hypnobirthing can also reduce the length of labour.
- Hypnobirthing gives couples the confidence to ask health professionals questions and become more informed about interventions that may come up. This enables them to feel that they have more control over the process.
- Hypnobirthing is wonderful for partners- giving them useful ways of supporting the mother, making them feel part of the process so that they don’t feel like a ‘spare part’ during labour and birth.
- Hypnobirthing gives a much greater likelihood of a calm unmedicated birth, resulting in alert and calm “Hypnobabies”. (My 4 certainly were calm babies!)
- Hypnobirthing teaches a wonderful skill for life! The ability to quickly become relaxed and at ease, which is useful in a wide variety of situations. (I use it in the dentist chair!)